Depression is not a weakness or a label being applied to everyday sadness. It is a very common, often debilitating condition that affects an estimated 25 million adults in the United States per year. It can occur in anyone at any age. When untreated, it can impair work performance, change relationships, and dramatically reduce quality of life.
Symptoms of depression can include the following:
- Feeling persistently sad or “empty”
- Feeling hopeless, irritable, anxious, or angry
- Loss of interest in work, family, or once-pleasurable activities, including sex
- Low self-esteem or excessive guilt
- Feeling very tired
- Difficulty making decisions
- Not being able to concentrate or remember details
- Not being able to sleep, or sleeping too much
- Overeating, or not wanting to eat at all
- Thoughts of suicide or wanting to “escape”
- Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems
- Inability to meet the responsibilities of work, caring for family, or other important activities
I provide a choice of highly effective, individualized treatments for depression and mood disorders. I am trained in various types of therapy and offer expertise in the use of medication. When performed in a person-centered, thoughtful manner, these treatments are proven to be life-changing interventions for what can feel like a hopeless situation.
You do not have to suffer silently- there is help available.
Below are additional links on this important topic.
Depression in Men: